Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Is it possible to get an HIV false-positive right after receiving the inluenza vaccination? ?

The doctor gave me the influenza vaccination and right after I was done with him, I went to get some of my blood taken out that same hour. Later, he said I was clean but that my HIV status shows I was positive. He said it does not mean I am necessarily infected with the virus, but that only one more test will tell. Did the influenza vaccination play any role that might have brought this horrid outcome? Is it possible to get an HIV false-positive right after receiving the inluenza vaccination? ?
Hi, I have been looking on the internet to answer your question and have found that it is possible to get a false-positive HIV test (the first test done known as ELISA test) after having the flu jab. According to the paper I found it is common to be mis-diagnosed with HIV at this stage, which is why they do a second test (known as a Western Blot test). The flu jab can cause the false-positive HIV test due to it having a cross-reactivity with HIV antibody assays. I were unable to find any guidelines stating the amount of time that should be left between having the flu jab and testing for the HIV virus.





Here is the link to the page I visited http://accmpositiveoutlook.blogspot.com/2008/09/influenza-vaccination-and-hiv-testing.html. Hope this information was of some use to you, and I wish you good luck with your second test :)





Take Care





Chelsea x

No comments:

Post a Comment