Wednesday, February 10, 2010

True or false. The DIVORCE RATE increased following the removal of HOMOSEXUALITY from the DSM?

Please site references. Thanks.True or false. The DIVORCE RATE increased following the removal of HOMOSEXUALITY from the DSM?
IDK , but , both sexes have used spouses to cover up


their homosexuality for as long as civilization has been around .





My opinion is , that it has made a minor impact .


Most people are more concerned with public perception ,


social acceptance and family ties than anything else .True or false. The DIVORCE RATE increased following the removal of HOMOSEXUALITY from the DSM?
I would say there is no real correlation, regardless of the actual dates these things occurred, however I do think there was a major societal shift (the so-called ';sexual revolution';) which brought about major social changes and the removal of homosexuality from the DSM was one of them.





I would say the biggest contributor to the increased divorce rate was the passing of ';no fault'; divorce laws, which occurred in the early '70's. Divorce might better correlate with the Pill (1968) and legalized abortion (1973).
The DSM is the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. As a foster care provider to traumatized children, I have been in classes where the DSM is referenced.





I have read so many things about divorce rates lately since I'm getting married soon. It all seems like a bunch of malarkey to me. Stuff like the divorce rate is higher for couples who live together before getting married ... higher for couples who get married between these age brackets .... while I understand the appreciation of statistics for people who are very scientific and try to find patterns, these types of things are so subjective. I couldn't find anything promoting a higher divorce rate following the removal of homosexuality from the DSM. Most people don't even know what the DSM is, so I guess I don't see why all of a sudden people wouldn't feel ashamed (if they do) about being homosexual just based on what some book says.





Edit: I won't erase my previous answer because that isn't right, but thank you ouragon for shedding some light on that fact for me. I guess I'm thinking of a set of people who haven't had to go to a psychiatrist because their parents/society thinks homosexuality is wrong. That was just my personal perspective and from what I've seen from my homosexual friends.
I agree with Ruth except there may be a correlation (meaning one was associated with the other) but not a causation (meaning the DSM dropping homosexuality did not CAUSE an increase in the divorce rate). Other social factors were far more to blame.





Gays make up only about 10% of the population, but divorce affects about half. How could 10% of the people cause 50% to divorce? It's statistically impossible.





I don't think you will find references to support my position, that the DSM change had nothing to do with divorce rates, because that's a new, made up scare tactic. It's designed to deny gays equal protection to marry, which they are entitled to under the Constitution.





You might check the web sites of the right wing religious zealots if you want sites to prove the gays have adversely affected divorce. That's where the stories come from. I can't go to those sites. I have personal objections.





EDIT: Heidi, the DSM was used to oppress gays and prove they were sick instead of different. It gave their family ammunition to control them (laws about mental illness used to be far harsher than they are now) and to force them to try to ';recover'; or even institutionalize them. The DSM diagnosis was a HUGE deal. It was huge when the American Psychiatric Association dropped it from the DSM, too.
Poppy, that is the diagnostic and statistical manual, or something close to that. It is a guide for the members of the psychiatric community to use to figure out different disorders.





While I do not have specific sources, as of yet, I will find them. In the meantime, I will simply say that the conservative-minded world needs to stop trying to blame all of their problems on the homosexual community. Homosexuality is not a mental disorder. It has now been proved to be genetic. People are just mad because they're running out of minority groups to slam...
These two things have no relationship. Who the hell cares what gays do or don't do? There actions, including allowing them to marry each other have ZERO impact on hetrosexual couples.





The only exception is these scum that are gay but get married to women to try and ';fit in';. Otherwise, mind your own damn business!
What, pray tell, is the DSM?

No comments:

Post a Comment